All the essentials when I go hiking. I’m still learning and looking for ways to cut weight so don’t assume this is dialed in.
- The sleeping bag liner adds about 25 degrees of warmth while keeping the pack pretty light. It’s a little annoying to get in and out of at night but worth it.
- Usually carry two pairs of wool socks, a wool hat and gloves.
- If we’re traveling long distances we’ll leave the stove behind and cold soak food. It’s pretty light on its own but packing enough fuel can add weight.
- Water filters are unnecessary when there’s plenty of mountain water at higher elevations.
- Need to get a down jacket that’s warmer and easier to pack.
- Down booties are lighter than wool socks.
- Anything that doesn’t keep you fed, dry or warm is unecessary weight.
- Need to find a lighter sleeping pad.
- A Halls in the morning and evening is nice.